Community Engagement Specialist, Michigan League for Public Policy
The League is a statewide advocacy organization that works to promote economic security and well-being for all people in Michigan through the policymaking process using a race equity lens. The community engagement team works in local communities to help connect the dots between policy decisions and everyday life. This is achieved through relationship building with people and organizations. The League is seeking a Community Engagement Specialist with strong public speaking and relationship organizing skills and the ability to communicate sometimes complex information effectively to diverse audiences.
Responsibilities include developing and presenting workshops and trainings on the League’s focus areas, representing the League at meetings with partners and policymakers, and building relationships with organizations and people. The specialist will focus on communities in West Michigan.
Qualifications: While no candidate will have every desirable quality, the ideal candidate would have:
- Deep commitment to improving lives of Michiganders.
- Relevant educational experience (Bachelors preferred or other education in combination with relevant work experience).
- Outstanding communications skills, including ability to communicate complex issues to broad audiences.
- Knowledge of Michigan’s legislative/budget process.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, but also able to collaborate and work as part of a team and with diverse partners.
- Value a culture of diversity and inclusion.
- Experience in Grand Rapids and other West Michigan areas helpful.
- Position involves travel throughout the state of Michigan, but primarily in West Michigan. Reliable transportation required.
Position is grant funded and full-time. Organization’s office is in Lansing and person will spend 1-2 days in Lansing. Salary: $50,000 plus benefits.
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 19.
The League is an equal opportunity employer, committed to building and retaining a diverse and inclusive staff and workplace.